Monday, June 11, 2007

Day 1, I joined LinkedIn

One rainy afternoon I was searching the Internet for like-minded folks who do everything Internet: working, researching, reading, entertaining, buying and selling, socializing and networking, etc. As for one I only sleep and eat offline.

Association of Internet Researchers (AIR) came up in my search. As much I hate giving away my addresses including the old spam-dirty Hotmail for any occasion, the temptation was bigger than me and I subscribed.

Pretty soon I discovered that this was an organized international group of nice academic folks who mainly researched behavioral habits of the Internet human beings like me. Well, okay, I truly believe I deserve to be studied at the University level; I have nothing against it, but I wanted more than that – I mean to be a part of something, not just a subject…

One of the AIR posts mentioned LinkedIn.com as one of the best professional networking sites on the Internet. It seemed right for me to join and become a member what I did… and discovered the whole new world! My world!

There are professional people networking from all over the planet of Earth: Americas, Europe, Asia, Australia, Arctic and … well, Antarctic seems to be missing… maybe they will join later? Professionals range from Art to High Tech, from a student to a CEO, and everybody in between.

One can join LinkedIn on their own or having received an invitation from a member. The first thing one will be prompted to do is creating a profile of course. The process is completely painless as LinkedIn techies thoughtfully prepared everything for you, you just fill in the fields for your education, companies you work now and worked in the past, maybe your essay, interests and hobbies if you wish (all templates, no work on your side), and you are in business of socializing and networking.

You can easily include three links to your own web-sites in your profile, anything you wish: your company, blog, resume, your dog’s birthday party site, etc. As LinkedIn is high in search engines (Alexa’s #182), linking from it will help your sites SE positioning by the way.

http://www.linkedin.com/in/olgakellen




No comments: