Thursday, July 5, 2007

More LinkedIn Happenings

Here are some results of my now two month-old membership on LinkedIn.

Connections: doubled. Now I have 20+ first degree connections, under 20,000 second degree and under 2,000,000 third degree.

I haven’t started sending invites to other members out yet; I am still thinking of the best keywords to optimize my Summary and Resume to start my promotion campaign. Meanwhile I enjoy answering questions and reading other members answers, this way I make new connections too.

There is an ongoing discussion on LinkedIn – what kind of a personal network is better: large and loose or smaller and targeted? I guess there is no right or wrong here, it depends on your particular goal.

There are a large number of members, so called LIONs - they don’t prey on you to devour, but to make you a connection instead;-) It actually reads as LinkedIn Open Networkers. They have their contact info posted publicly and invite everybody to connect. Most of them are recruiters, some are consultants. Okay, maybe this is the right way for me to go? I mean to get connected with them to increase my chances to be found in case an opportunity arises… I am always on the look for a new interesting project anyway. As soon as I decide on the keywords, I’ll start expanding my network through LIONs.

Expert: I am visible now somewhere around the second page of the Experts List, with 20 to 40 questions answered every week. The champions on the top of the first page of the list answer 200+ questions a week (!) It probably means sitting in LinkedIn for 20 hours a day? They also seem to do a research to answer a question. This alone makes LinkedIn a very valuable resource. I cannot do that myself, I don’t’ have that much time…

More later

http://www.linkedin.com/in/olgakellen





No comments: