Monday, October 1, 2007

I became a Lulu POD Self-publisher

There is so much talk about Lulu.com on LinkedIn. Somebody recommends using Lulu.com whenever there is a question how to publish a book. Nobody talks about book sales though.

Some time ago I made an attempt to evaluate Amazon book sales of POD self-publishing companies (see my post of August 20). The sales were miserable. If a book doesn't sell on Amazon where buyers are actively searching for books, then it doesn't sell on a self-publishing company's website either.

I have decided to perform an experiment on myself to prove that publishing on Lulu.com doesn't sell books.

I am writing a book now. The manuscript has not been completed yet, but meanwhile I created a short version and published it on Lulu.com for free. Here is the link, ready to sell to anybody in the world from Lulu.com: http://www.lulu.com/content/1233344

The process of Lulu self-publishing is really easy and quick, no doubt about it.

I won't pay for marketing or promotion, I just want a pure experiment - how many copies will sell without any author's marketing and promotion? I only emailed the link to a dozen of friends telling them to feel free to forward it to anybody who might be interested, and also put the link here on the blog, that's it.

The short version is a how-to on one of the hottest topics today; appeals to the right niche of 25 mln readers, the price is right - not too low, not too high; keywords are right too; seems like no problem to sell.

I'll tell you in a month or so about the results of my experimental book sale on a self-publishing POD website (if any).









No comments: